SFML alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Multimedia" category.
Alternatively, view SFML alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
4.7 0.0 SFML VS MediaInfoLibConvenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of SFML or a related project?
SFML — Simple and Fast Multimedia Library
SFML is a simple, fast, cross-platform and object-oriented multimedia API. It provides access to windowing, graphics, audio and network. It is written in C++, and has bindings for various languages such as C, .Net, Ruby, Python.
State of Development
SFML is currently in an interesting state of development, which can quickly become confusing if you aren't following it closely. As such we want to clarify where to get which version.
masterbranch contains work in progress for the next major version SFML 3. As such it's considered unstable, but any testing and feedback is highly appreciated.
2.6.xbranch is the nearly complete next minor version SFML 2.6, which should be very stable, even if it hasn't been officially released yet.
2.5.1tag is the last official SFML release, but it lacks a lot of fixes and features that can already be found on the
- You can get the latest official release on SFML's website.
- You can also get the source code of the current development version from the Git repository.
- Alternatively, you can get the latest snapshot / artifact builds from the artifacts storage.
Follow the instructions of the tutorials, there is one for each platform/compiler that SFML supports.
There are several places to learn SFML:
Here are some useful community links:
SFML is an open-source project, and it needs your help to go on growing and improving. If you want to get involved and suggest some additional features, file a bug report or submit a patch, please have a look at the contribution guidelines.
- Laurent Gomila ([email protected])
- Marco Antognini ([email protected])
- binary1248 ([email protected])
- Lukas Dürrenberger ([email protected])
- Jonathan De Wachter ([email protected])
- Jan Haller ([email protected])
- Mario Liebisch ([email protected])
- Stefan Schindler ([email protected])
- Artur Moreira ([email protected])
- Vittorio Romeo ([email protected])
- And many other members of the SFML community
The SFML libraries and source code are distributed under the zlib/libpng license. See [license.md](license.md). External libraries used by SFML are distributed under their own licenses.
In short, SFML is free for any use (commercial or personal, proprietary or open-source). You can use SFML in your project without any restriction. You can even omit to mention that you use SFML -- although it would be appreciated.
External libraries used by SFML
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the SFML README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.