OpenSSL v1.1.0.j Release NotesRelease Date: 2019-05-28 // almost 2 years ago
- Change the default RSA, DSA and DH size to 2048 bit instead of 1024. This changes the size when using the genpkey app when no size is given. It fixes an omission in earlier changes that changed all RSA, DSA and DH generation apps to use 2048 bits by default.
- Prevent over long nonces in ChaCha20-Poly1305.
ChaCha20-Poly1305 is an AEAD cipher, and requires a unique nonce input for every encryption operation. RFC 7539 specifies that the nonce value (IV) should be 96 bits (12 bytes). OpenSSL allows a variable nonce length and front pads the nonce with 0 bytes if it is less than 12 bytes. However it also incorrectly allows a nonce to be set of up to 16 bytes. In this case only the last 12 bytes are significant and any additional leading bytes are ignored.
It is a requirement of using this cipher that nonce values are unique. Messages encrypted using a reused nonce value are susceptible to serious confidentiality and integrity attacks. If an application changes the default nonce length to be longer than 12 bytes and then makes a change to the leading bytes of the nonce expecting the new value to be a new unique nonce then such an application could inadvertently encrypt messages with a reused nonce.
Additionally the ignored bytes in a long nonce are not covered by the integrity guarantee of this cipher. Any application that relies on the integrity of these ignored leading bytes of a long nonce may be further affected. Any OpenSSL internal use of this cipher, including in SSL/TLS, is safe because no such use sets such a long nonce value. However user applications that use this cipher directly and set a non-default nonce length to be longer than 12 bytes may be vulnerable.
This issue was reported to OpenSSL on 16th of March 2019 by Joran Dirk Greef of Ronomon. [CVE-2019-1543]
- Added SCA hardening for modular field inversion in EC_GROUP through a new dedicated field_inv() pointer in EC_METHOD. This also addresses a leakage affecting conversions from projective to affine coordinates.
Billy Bob Brumley, Nicola Tuveri
- Fix a use after free bug in d2i_X509_PUBKEY when overwriting a re-used X509_PUBKEY object if the second PUBKEY is malformed.
- Move strictness check from EVP_PKEY_asn1_new() to EVP_PKEY_asn1_add0().
- Remove the 'dist' target and add a tarball building script. The 'dist' target has fallen out of use, and it shouldn't be necessary to configure just to create a source distribution.