Box2D alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Physics" category.
Alternatively, view Box2D alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Box2D or a related project?
Box2D is a 2D physics engine for games.
Please do not submit pull requests with new features or core library changes. Instead, please file an issue first for discussion. For bugs, I prefer detailed bug reports over pull requests.
- Continuous collision detection
- Contact callbacks: begin, end, pre-solve, post-solve
- Convex polygons and circles
- Multiple shapes per body
- One-shot contact manifolds
- Dynamic tree broadphase
- Efficient pair management
- Fast broadphase AABB queries
- Collision groups and categories
- Continuous physics with time of impact solver
- Persistent body-joint-contact graph
- Island solution and sleep management
- Contact, friction, and restitution
- Stable stacking with a linear-time solver
- Revolute, prismatic, distance, pulley, gear, mouse joint, and other joint types
- Joint limits, motors, and friction
- Momentum decoupled position correction
- Fairly accurate reaction forces/impulses
- Small block and stack allocators
- Centralized tuning parameters
- Highly portable C++ with no use of STL containers
- OpenGL with GLFW
- Graphical user interface with imgui
- Extensible test framework
- Support for loading world dumps
- Install CMake
- Ensure CMake is in the user
- Visual Studio: run
build.batfrom the command prompt
- Otherwise: run
build.shfrom a bash shell
- Results are in the build sub-folder
- On Windows you can open box2d.sln
Building Box2D - Using vcpkg
You can download and install Box2D using the vcpkg dependency manager:
- git clone https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg.git
- cd vcpkg
- ./vcpkg integrate install
- ./vcpkg install box2d
The Box2D port in vcpkg is kept up to date by Microsoft team members and community contributors. If the version is out of date, please create an issue or pull request on the vcpkg repository.
Note: vcpkg support is not provided by the Box2D project
Building for Xcode
- Install CMake
- Add Cmake to the path in .zprofile (the default Terminal shell is zsh)
- export PATH="/Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin:$PATH"
- mkdir build
- cd build
- cmake -G Xcode ..
- open box2d.xcodeproj
- Select the testbed scheme
- Edit the scheme to set a custom working directory, make this be in box2d/testbed
- You can now build and run the testbed
Installing using CMake
You can use the CMake install feature to deploy the library to a central location that can be accessed using:
find_package(box2d REQUIRED) target_link_libraries(mytarget PRIVATE box2d)
You can build and install the library and docs using this command sequence (requires Doxygen):
mkdir build cd build cmake -DBOX2D_BUILD_DOCS=ON .. cmake --build . cmake --build . --target INSTALL
On Windows this tries to install in
Program Files and thus requires admin privileges. Alternatively you can target another directory using something like this:
mkdir build cd build cmake -DBOX2D_BUILD_DOCS=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="C:/packages" .. cmake --build . cmake --build . --target INSTALL
Box2D is developed by Erin Catto, and uses the MIT license.
Support development of Box2D through Github Sponsors
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Box2D README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.